Monday 22 October 2018

The end of an era - Zambar...

As first reported last week by Blackpool Zoo on their social media sites, Zambar the Amur tiger who is an icon of the zoo sadly passed away. Zambar originally arrived in 2010 from Marwell Wildlife as a six year old male, he lived with Alyona from 2012 and they successfully produced two male cubs, Barney and Radzhi in 2014. Barney moved to, sadly, he died in November 2017 from cancer, his brother, Radzhi is still living (as far as I know!) happily, in Portugal at Zoo Santo Inacio with his offspring!

Zambar, was a huge male Amur tiger and he was extremely gentle when around his two cubs. Growing up at Marwell Wildlife, Zambar was hand-reared as his mother, Yenna sadly rejected him at birth and causing a hairline fracture to his leg. Zambar was actually introduced to an adult male tiger at a young age who took to him instantly and showed him how to be a tiger. Zambar was born on the 19th March 2004 so, he reached a very good age indeed.

The legacy of Zambar lives on though! His son, Radzhi has produced three cubs with Mila (incidentally, Mila is the name of my daughter who is due to be born on Christmas Eve!) named, Sneg (which means snow), Yuli (which means cute) and Zoya (which means life). I have thousands upon thousands of pictures of Zambar which I could include in this blog, but, I have selected a few which I think show him off in all his beauty. I could have wrote a huge post about him, but, to sum this blog, I want to say thank you to a tiger who has inspired a young boy to want to work with these glorious cats for the rest of his life.








1 comment:

  1. Hello, I'm Alice, Japanese woman living in Japan.
    I love your blog, very nice photos and description, thank you.

    If you are interested in Sumatran tiger in Japan, take a look.
    https://www.zoochat.com/community/threads/sumatran-tigers-in-japan.467305/

    We have some Sumatran tigers who were born in Europe, whom, I guess, you may be familiar with.

    ReplyDelete